It’s been way too long since I took the big loom out for a spin. I’ve been planning the latest project for quite some time – I measured out the warp 14 months ago and wound it onto the warp beam exactly a year ago. Then… nothing. 2017 was a very busy year between work, my other blog, and travel. But, this holiday I decided it was way past time to move these tea towels forward.
Dressing the loom looks so complicated…
It requires attention to detail during the somewhat tedious process of threading each of the 584 warp threads through one and only one heddle. Each of the 8 shafts also needs to be tied to all 10 treadles to determine whether that shaft goes UP or DOWN when the treadle is pressed. The combination of threading and treadling is what produces the pattern.
Then comes the magical moment when weaving starts and the pattern reveals itself:
It’s the beginning of a new financial year here in Australia. To mark the occasion I decided to modernise the look of the blog. I have two rotating banner pics – if anyone visits, let me know what you think.
Now that semester is over, I’ve been busy with plenty of craft work (and other things). This week I finished another scarf (click on the picture to go to project details on Ravelry).
Some weaving is happening! Handspun alpaca/wool/silk. 12.5epi.
Yes, I’ve been busy lately. Mainly I’ve been working on http://fixthetaxtreaty.org which will be launched tomorrow morning. You can also find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/FixTheTaxTreaty/
Between website development and a busy schedule at work, there hasn’t been much time for craft, other than my annual day at the Ekka. This year I took a portable loom to demonstrate weaving.
There hasn’t been much time for weaving in the past few months. In February I went to a weaving camp run by the Gold Coast & Hinterland Spinners & Weavers. The camp was essentially a 2.5 day class on twill weaving taught by Kay Faulkner. I learned quite a bit about twill structures and how to draft twill patterns. Prior to the class, I warped up my table loom with some 4-ply cotton in four different twill threadings. The part on the right contains the samples we wove in class – a wide variety of patterns with only 5-10 cm per pattern (except where I got carried away). The other two samples were woven after the class (mostly in the last month when things finally settled down enough that I had time to weave). Click on the pictures to see them full size.